Wednesday 6 August 2014

Helms Deep- Landscaping



In reality, i was probably abit premature saying there was 'light at the end of the tunnel' in the last post... as i continued working i realized there is still alot more to be done!

But it is once again that time when i remember to update the world on my current progress with the project. As well as slaving away at the fortress, i have also starting play testing rules/scenarios and building/painting the forces which will do battle in the big opening game on the board... i have been given a three week deadline (yikes!!).



I used a variety of woodland scenics rock molds to build up the cliffs.


A few 'scraps' from pieces i broke making the wall were added to make it look as if it were built from the mountain.

Care was taken to ensure the rocks didn't interfere with the placement of the wall sections.

Pollyfilla was used to fill in the gaps and make it you seamless.

I found that ready mixed filla worked best.


The steps were made from polystyrene and cardboard covered with pollyfila.



Having been playing wotr quite abit in the last few weeks i decided i needed a modular gaming table on which to fight my battles... i did check out the realm of battle board and nearly passed out at the price, even on ebay it was still pretty pricey! So, i decided to make my own!

I was determined to include some of the same details but chose to design mine so that it could also be used for basing helms deep.

First i bought 8 mdf boards (the other 2 i haven't started yet)- 2foot square- for just under £20 :)

I used ready mixed pollyfilla to create the rocks.



I had to cook the sand in the oven to dry it out before use .. this got a few odd looks.

Next i textured the boards with sand.

Somehow this step took almost all day.

I used a spray bottle filled with watered down pva to speed the process up.

After drawing in the detail, i used a knife to carve the rocky outcrops.

Spray paints were used to paint the board and undercoat the rocks.

My board had to be flat (unlike the realm of battle) so helms deep could sit on it.

The rocks were drybrushed grey.

I used paints i had lying around.. but this could be achieved using game workshops paints.



I also repainted my hill to match the boards (i've lost the other half)

The boards still need flocking and in reality should be drybrushed to bring out the detail but at the moment i really can't be bothered.. i may try dusting it using spray paints instead..


I started basing the Uruk hai and movement trays.

There is still alot more to paint.

This isn't the entire army.. and when finished it'll hopefully be huge!!


So thats it so far..
I have already done even more to it than shown here, but i'll save that for another post.. being the summer holidays, i am in a haze of hobby madness before work starts again in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment